Java Preferences

Here is the situation, you want to save some user preferences, for example, I like certain columns for a given table, I don't want to customize it every time, I'd like to save it. Originally, I thought I might need a configuration file to achieve this, but soon I realize that it would be a pain, first of all, where to put this file? if my application is achieved, I don't even have the access the application folder. Secondly, every time I update the file, I need search this file and remove the old entry. I think there got to be a better way to do this.

Link
Link

In windows, it's stored under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs

Just so we know, that we could import and export part of Registry, in this way, if we change our machine, we could just export/import and go.